Sisters of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (SVM), an Eparchial congregation in the Archeparchy of Kottayam was founded on 24th June 1892, the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Kaipuzha, Kottayam district even before the erection of the diocese of Kottayam. It was started with the dual intention of Servant of God Mar Mathew Makil providing an opportunity to the women of the knanaya community for religious life and making possible the holistic development of women at large.
Being a great devotee of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Mar Mathew Makil wished very much that the congregation that he would found, accept the spirit of the Sacred Heart as its charism. He named the congregation Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary since he knew that the Order of visitation of Holy Mary in France in which St. Margaret Mary was a member was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Moreover he was inspired by the visitation of Mother Mary to Elizabeth ( Lk. 1: 39-56).
Servant of God
Mar Mathew Makil